The process has started

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

The process has started

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

I worked with Chris on moving forward on my F5 this last week. Two issues remain, but at least one we have some control over. The CNC cuts are almost complete. With the Titanium, accurate cuts are more critical than with the regular tubing used. Of course anyone buying an F series from Chris will benefit from the CNC cuts. Titanium is just a bit more finicky of a metal to weld. The better the cuts and fitting, the easier this is and the stronger the welds will be...and the entire frame. This part we have some control over. The other problem and this is one totally out of our control is that two out of the three stop countries that mine and sell Titanium ore are China (number 1) and Russia (number 3). Both are not on the best of terms with the US right now and both are suffering from internal issues. China once again has COVID breakout issues, and they are having mass population unrest and protests. Russia has the Ukraine invasion (remember they haven't declared it a war yet). This all adds up to an availability issue and getting quality Titanium tubing for the frame. Since there's nothing we can do about this, we can only wait until the material is available. The plane build is fully funded, so while waiting as we must, I'm continuing to save for the Hirth F-23 engine. I haven't settled on instruments yet so that's on hold for now. I have decided to go with the Oratex to cover the plane, so I'll be saving for that too. I'm still thinking about colors, but Yellow, Silver, and Black striping is what I'm really liking. Something very much like the Carbon Cub below. In addition, I'll be retiring next year, so I don't think I'll have the plane before I retire and move to Florida, but what a state to build the plane in, right? The move should take place in mid-2023. That gives us the time to wait and see what happens with the Titanium market. I would like to get started on the build earlier, but it doesn't make sense to have the plane here in Texas partly assembled, and then have to move it (hoping not to damage it or have parts go missing) to Florida.

CarbonCub.png

I really love the look of this plane. I'll also have the cowling of the KitFox for my F5. It'll need to be modified for the boxer style F-23 engine and then thinking I'll go with yellow for most of the cowling with black-outs on the KitFox style bumps on the front of the cowl. Plus some other black accents in specific places. Splitting the colors with the Oratex will be interesting, but I've been assured it can be done.

For now, I'll continue going to air shows, taking pictures, making YouTube videos and posting them here on the forum so others can enjoy and dream a little along with me. One day I will be up in the air, I'm just having to be a fisherman and practice some patience.