RElocating the Radiator

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

RElocating the Radiator

Post by ksatter26 »

Checking with Polini, relocating the radiator below the engine requires several new/replacement parts (to the tune of about $110)

(1) The engine is delivered with a straight water inlet connection. I asked about just installing a 90 degree, 16mm radiator hose elbow and connector (seems this is a standard part for a Chevy Camero). The Polini folks said that the last reported use of such an elbow resulted in a severe over-heating incident in the 1st few hours of flight. Rt angle outlet $30.

(2) Of course the new outlet cannot be directly mounted on the engine replacing the straight outlet. A flange and associated gaskets are required at $41

(3) Also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED is and air inlet joint for the water hose so that air can be bled from the system to avoid an "air lick" condition ... $43.

(4) Unrelated to the radiator relocation. The Thor 303 comes with a threaded fitting in the exhaust system for inserting a K-type EGT probe. The fitting is 8x1.00 thread, of course standard K-type probes will not fit as the barrel/piping of the exhaust system is too small and a very short probe is required. I could not find a substitute for the $72 Polini probe ...

Getting expensive.

Hanging the radiator ... I fabricated 3 brackets from 1"x1/8" aluminum strip material (Home Depot). I bent them to allow for clearance of the engine mount and drilled out the arms to accept 0.5" id grommets (to act as vibration dampeners over the radiator mounting tabs).

Trial mounting looks good:
RaadiatorMountParts (1).JPG
RadiatorTrial Mount01.JPG
RadiatorTrialMount03.JPG