Basic Panel Shape /Layout & Throttle Assy

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Basic Panel Shape /Layout & Throttle Assy

Post by ksatter26 »

The Throttle assembly is really nice (~$15 from Aircraft Spruce). As delivered, it has a rather heavy ratchet feel but a few turns of the center screw and the ratcheting can be adjusted to your preference for holding in flight.
Throttle.JPG
The two controlling factors on my panel layout ... max width (~22.5") and I need at least 7" of height for an 8" span to mount my iPad 6 Mini (8x6).
I sketched it out in Visio and plotted the end curves; then transferred the result to the sheet provided by Chris in the kit.
PanelMounr.JPG
I used the 4 lower mounting tabs to install two short lengths of 3/4" hinge so that I can fold the panel down to access the wiring on the firewall side.
PanelDown.JPG
Layout hopefully looks like this:
F2Panel.jpg
Details & pictures to follow, but:

(1) a std VDO fuel gauge with sender mounted in the tank

(2) T&B is a small sailboat inclinometer

(3) TinyTac is a small tachometer reading impulses from the spark plug wire

(4) On the backside (the iPad) I'll mount a 12VDC car dual USB charger and run the iPad wire to this for power - the 2nd port will be used for a mini GPS antenna somewhere inside the cockpit (velcro-ed ... it's a Dual Universal GPS Receiver).

(5) The Starter Switch is a std motorcycle starter.

(6) The Swift CHT-EGT gauge is 2" round from A/C Spruce

(7) The VOM is a 1" automotive accessory

(8) Belite Multi-function gauge ... Airspeed, Rate-of-Climb (VSI), and Altimeter ... really nice (if expensive) small (2" square) instrument. I had this on-hand from a previous project.

(9) Master Switch sends battery power to a 10Amp breaker and thence to the USB charger and to the Avionics Switch

(10) Avionics Switch sends power to a 3Amp breaker thence to the positive buss for instrument distribution.

I'll fit an arm from the center cockpit tab to the top-center of the panel to hold it in place. I'm also thinking of running a light wire from the top perimeter thru the cockpit tab to provide a means for supporting the panel when in the down position. I'll picture that when it gets done.

Also to day I added the brake pedal springs and nicopressed the thimbles to the 1/16" brake cables.

Progress ... now if I can just figure out the flaperon control arms placements ... descriptions got me stumped.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Basic Panel Shape /Layout & Throttle Assy

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

I like the design Kurt. Tight little panel isn't it! We need a wide body Badland! I especially like the fold down.

Todd
ksatter26

Re: Basic Panel Shape /Layout & Throttle Assy

Post by ksatter26 »

Looking at the panel wiring and I came to think that I may not have included my panel shape grid. I'm including it here for those who might want to use this shape.

PanelCurvePlot.jpg