Battery Mounted

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Battery Mounted

Post by ksatter26 »

Mounted the 12VDC-5AH motorcycle battery against the firewall strapped to it with a large nylon cable-tie. I made the connections that pass thru the firewall wiring to the panel. I switched on the master and avionics circuits and verified all circuits working. However I did not try the engine starter circuit but did verify current flow with my small circuit checker.

I realize that i may have to move the location of the battery once I perform the final pre-flight weight and balance calculations ( possibly behind the seat).
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Battery Mounted

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:46 pm Mounted the 12VDC-5AH motorcycle battery against the firewall strapped to it with a large nylon cable-tie. I made the connections that pass thru the firewall wiring to the panel. I switched on the master and avionics circuits and verified all circuits working. However I did not try the engine starter circuit but did verify current flow with my small circuit checker.

I realize that i may have to move the location of the battery once I perform the final pre-flight weight and balance calculations ( possibly behind the seat).
I think Peer ran a little heavier towards the back end than he'd like to be. He's going through the same thing, looking at ways to move the CG forward a little more. Good deal on the wiring and circuits all working. One more thing to check off the to-do list.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Todd is correct. My CoG was at the far tail end of the range according to the build manual. Chris had mentioned that the Badland flies better with the CG rearward, but mine is a bit further than I'd like it to be. The fact that I weight 160 is a contributing factor, I'm sure, but as it sits, I would only be within range with half a tank of fuel or less.

However, I hadn't re-weighted the plane since building the cowl, so hopefully that pulls the CG forward enough to make me comfortable. We will see!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:47 pm Todd is correct. My CoG was at the far tail end of the range according to the build manual. Chris had mentioned that the Badland flies better with the CG rearward, but mine is a bit further than I'd like it to be. The fact that I weight 160 is a contributing factor, I'm sure, but as it sits, I would only be within range with half a tank of fuel or less.

However, I hadn't re-weighted the plane since building the cowl, so hopefully that pulls the CG forward enough to make me comfortable. We will see!
It'll be interesting what I come up with. The titanium frame is going to hopefully shift my CoG forward. I weigh in at 215 to 220. I'm trying to drop the weight, but it's very difficult. When I cut the calories my metabolism stops, so I stop losing weight and am tired all the time. This is with 45 minutes at the gym five days a week! I think the Hirth F-23 will put a little more weight forward. If I do like you may need to do and move that battery forward, along with a ground adjustable prop, and cowl, that may be enough. I plan on putting a belly cargo carrier on the bottom, so that might be good if it's a bit forward too. That'll be for some camping gear for overnight stays at grass fields around Florida, maybe out to a beach or two.

I was chatting with Tracy earlier today on FB. He mentioned he may be pulled in to instructing on the use of an English Wheel. Now that would be a cool skill to have, especially if creating a cowl out of metal.