Starboard Wing ready for initial mount

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Starboard Wing ready for initial mount

Post by ksatter26 »

Thank goodness for casters and the Harbor Freight engine hoist!

Quite a time consuming job shifting the fuselage with the port wing attached into a diagonal position in the hangar/shop to get clearance (and workspace) for the starboard wing initial mount. I must have logged a couple of miles walking around the pieces parts moving the saw-horses and the wing; then repositioning the hoist and sliding the fuselage sideways about a foot at a time. (Next time ... bigger hangar!)

The job would probably have been significantly easier if I had my lift struts mounted on the port wing and could have folded the wing as Chris intended. Inserts "due" next week!

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Starboard Wing ready for initial mount

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Very nice. Even better if you are able to leave everything in place between "shop times". It's really coming along nicely!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

I think Kurt just came up with a new pilot sayings:

You can never have too big of a hanger! 😂

While Peer may be envious of the hanger, I have to settle for being envious of Kurt's hanger and both of you having Badland planes! 😕

Though, I did send Chris an email today reminding him I should be in Florida 3/4 of the way through this year and will need a kit to keep me occupied! 😊
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Very true about the hangar - but better a hangar than a (barely) two car garage!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:21 pm Very true about the hangar - but better a hangar than a (barely) two car garage!
Well I have a two-car garage, but there's no way my truck will ever be happy outside with a plane in the garage. I need a hanger!

You know, looking at Kurt's last picture, one might think he's trying to build the first high/low wing without being a bi-plane ever!
ksatter26

Hangar/Shop great

Post by ksatter26 »

My 1st project was a Bowers Fly Baby. Started in a 2 car garage; impossible to heat. Moved it across country TX-PA-NC-CA-New Orleans where hurricane Katrina took it at 95% complete ... it sat for odd years in one car garages and storage facilities. I vowed to eventually get my shop/hangar.

I did complete a Mini-MAX 1103 in a two-car garage, and about half of my CH-701... I moved the 701 to a boat yard space for rigging because the vertical tail was too tall. I selected the 701 because of the folding wing and build space.

I built my new home with shop/ hangar and 700' strip because of immanent loss of medical ( 3 stints and propensity towards kidney stones) and ordered my F3.