Replacement Parts Arrive

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Replacement Parts Arrive

Post by ksatter26 »

Nice package of replacement parts from Chris,

(1) Replacement-replacement lift strut inserts. The new design with cone-shaped head is probably a slight improvement over the semi-circular originals which I have re-worked and am using. The new design will probably make it slightly easier to mate the rod-end bearing to the spar strut mount. I'll be returning the new ones (because I re-worked the old ones). I will also be returning the miss-manufactured (coarse threaded heads) set that arrived 5 weeks ago.

IMG_0812.JPG

(2) New design, sturdy aluminum stb flaperon control arm. My original kit came with a pair of arms that had the tubing fit OVER the flaperon spar. This left little or no space to insert the required AN3 bolt. Chris promptly replaced those with the new, sturdy aluminum arms with tubing that fits INSIDE the flaperon spar. HOWEVER, he sent me 2 PORT arms. His pkg contained the new one and for some reason a pair of 4130 steel arms. I'll also be returning those along with my duplicate port arm..

IMG_0860.JPG

(3) Polini prop nut replacement for the miss-manufactured one originally provided. I hope to get that installed on the engine by this weekend. I can then mount the E-Prop to help position the bubble cowl to locate the required modifications to make it fit the Polini 303.

Yesterday I had a relatively short work session removing the engine hoist supported stb wing so that I could turn the fuselage/folded-port wing around 180 degrees providing a great deal more workspace in the shop. This was quite an exercise all by myself. I then spent an hour or two fabricating and positioning a mounting plate for a plastic quick connect/disconnect fitting for the 0.25" tubing for the pitot system. I epoxied the fitting into the mount and called it a day.

IMG_0861.JPG

This morning I finished mounting the port butt rib (the Badland Rib). Lots of trial and tweeking this as my pitot fitting extends from where it is mounted on rib #1 through the Badland rib B slot. Thus from the cockpit I can reach up and disconnect the tubing running from the fitting ,down the edge of the windscreen to the airspeed/altimiter fitting on the back of the panel. This allows folding of the wing.

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
For some reason, my kit came with about 30' of 0.25" pitot tubing. I only need about 8' so I'll be returning the excess to Chris.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Replacement Parts Arrive

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:15 pm Nice package of replacement parts from Chris,

(1) Replacement-replacement lift strut inserts. The new design with cone-shaped head is probably a slight improvement over the semi-circular originals which I have re-worked and am using. The new design will probably make it slightly easier to mate the rod-end bearing to the spar strut mount. I'll be returning the new ones (because I re-worked the old ones). I will also be returning the miss-manufactured (coarse threaded heads) set that arrived 5 weeks ago.

IMG_0812.JPG

(2) New design, sturdy aluminum stb flaperon control arm. My original kit came with a pair of arms that had the tubing fit OVER the flaperon spar. This left little or no space to insert the required AN3 bolt. Chris promptly replaced those with the new, sturdy aluminum arms with tubing that fits INSIDE the flaperon spar. HOWEVER, he sent me 2 PORT arms. His pkg contained the new one and for some reason a pair of 4130 steel arms. I'll also be returning those along with my duplicate port arm..

IMG_0860.JPG

(3) Polini prop nut replacement for the miss-manufactured one originally provided. I hope to get that installed on the engine by this weekend. I can then mount the E-Prop to help position the bubble cowl to locate the required modifications to make it fit the Polini 303.

Yesterday I had a relatively short work session removing the engine hoist supported stb wing so that I could turn the fuselage/folded-port wing around 180 degrees providing a great deal more workspace in the shop. This was quite an exercise all by myself. I then spent an hour or two fabricating and positioning a mounting plate for a plastic quick connect/disconnect fitting for the 0.25" tubing for the pitot system. I epoxied the fitting into the mount and called it a day.

IMG_0861.JPG

This morning I finished mounting the port butt rib (the Badland Rib). Lots of trial and tweeking this as my pitot fitting extends from where it is mounted on rib #1 through the Badland rib B slot. Thus from the cockpit I can reach up and disconnect the tubing running from the fitting ,down the edge of the windscreen to the airspeed/altimiter fitting on the back of the panel. This allows folding of the wing.

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

For some reason, my kit came with about 30' of 0.25" pitot tubing. I only need about 8' so I'll be returning the excess to Chris.
Looks like Santa arrived early this year! Nice to see the progress. I'm sure the rain and cold isn't helping but hopefully that'll equal a cooler than normal summer!

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Looking good Kurt. I actually like the older design for the spar ends. It also allows small adjustments tot he length, which I'm not sure the new design does, due to the little lip.

It looks like you've trail fitted the flaperon control arm for now. It's a robust design from the looks of it.

I'd like to see more pictures of your pitot tube hose quick disconnect. A great idea. Mine feeds into the wing when you deploy it, and needs a bit of a helping hand, but will serve my purposes, at least for now.

After a few days of silence on the forum, I'm looking forward to more progress! Hopefully the weather is more favorable going forward!
ksatter26

Quick Connect/Disconnect Fitting

Post by ksatter26 »

Frontier Communications and some weather related problems delayed my log entries ...

The fittings came from e-Bay via US Plastics. I believe the purchase was for about $8 including shipping for about 4 sizes of tubing and I got 6 of each. However, I can't find them listed on e-Bay anywhere. They seem to be available from US Plastics but they charge about $1 apiece with a minimum shipping charge of $14. Crazy. I used 1 and sent 2 to Chris so I have 3. If you want one I'm more than happy too stick it in a padded envelope and mail it off, just send me your address.

IMG_0870.JPG

I haven't prettied-up the mount as yet (and I plan to use 2 rivets on the corners), but here's the mounting.

IMG_0868.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG

I think the new cone-head design of the upper lift strut insert provides a little more wiggle room for mating the rod end bearing to the spar lift strut mount, but in any case the 5/16"-24 rod end bearing is rated at over 6,000 pounds, so there should be no problem.

I just came in from the initial mounting of the starboard wing. Over an hour of walking from one end to the other; pumping the hydraulic engine hoist; adjusting the shop stands ($14, on sale at Harbor Freight); etc. An extra set of hands would have made this go much more quickly. Alas, my grandsons are in school and I didn't want to wait for the weekend.

IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG

Lunchtime and probably back at it this afternoon. Now starts the repetitive sweep, dihedral, and setback measurement process.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Very nice. It HAS to be a lot of work without a helping hand. Thankfully I DID have a helping hand!

And were you able to sort out the issue with the wing end sitting too low to swing all the way in against the vertical stab? (Well, at least close to all the way in; mine doesn't quite make it all the way, since the flaperons meet each other at the wing root.)

And thanks for the offer of the fitting. I may circle back if need be, but for now I'm starting to get in the habit of feeding the hose with one hand.