Cowling Cheek Extensions - Figerglass

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Cowling Cheek Extensions - Figerglass

Post by ksatter26 »

I started the messy fiberglass cowl cheek extensions. I laid out the curve of the cowling and extended the shape 2.5" on either side of the shape line.

Cowling03.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

I then covered the pattern outline with waxed paper and did (the messy part) 2 layers 0f 1.5 oz boat cloth. The process required but 2.5 oz of resin mixture. I've never used the waxed paper method, but even if it doesn't easily peal off, I can lightly sand it away. I'll post more on this experiment when I try it. The resulting shape should be flexible enough to fiberglass onto the inside of the cowling and I can feather the extensions into the cowling with resin and micro-balloons. The plan is to add small 0.016" patches of aluminum at the air-frame mounting tab points.

I also created a 1/8" gasket rubber mounting ring to attach the low profile air filter to the carb.

IMG_0940.JPG
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Cowling Cheek Extensions - Figerglass

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

This is great Kurt. Never having used fiberglass I'm a total newbe at it, so greatly appreciate your posting your work and modification of the cowl.

Thanks,
Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I've done a fair share of fiberglassing but never went so far as using micro-balloons...just resin and cloth. As I may have mentioned, it's a bit messy to work with but not too bad. The nice thing about it is that any mistake can be corrected with...you guessed it...more fiberglass. :lol:
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Oh, similar to plaster....screw up? Let it dry, cut and sand for a do-over! :)

Nice to have that option.