CEI finally removed for return/replacement

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

CEI finally removed for return/replacement

Post by ksatter26 »

Chasing the No Spark problem for a couple of weeks, we finally believe that the problem is surely in the CDI. Removal for return/replacement was easily a week of total frustration. Detaching all the connections that were readily apparent in the several "bundles" of wires to the various components qnd I was left with one bundle (of 3 wires) from the CDI that ran into the engine case (to the magneto). I could find no removable connectors. Chris advised that I could not simply cut the wires and add connectors as that would void the Polini warranty.

I sought help on this site and got encouragement, but no real solution. I joined the Polini Thor 303 users group on Facebook. It took several days to get membership so my questions could be posted. I got a lot of responses about poor CDI quality and no spark problems and was told to "unplug" the magneto wire connectors (that I could not find).

Finally, this morning, an electronics wizard friend came by and used a tiny flat-blade screw-driver to remove the 3 spade terminal connectors from their nylon housing (that mounts on the back of the heat-sink). This freed one of the 3 magneto wires, We finally removed YARDS of fabric electrical tape from two harnesses and had to wipe them down with a quantity of solvent to remove the caked-on adhesive. What finally appeared was what looked like soldered connections of the two wires under clear heat-shrink. We looked closer (with a magnifying glass) and my buddy "thought that the two might be bayonet-type" connectors. We cut away the clear heat shrink and miraculously two bayonet connectors appeared. With a good deal of effort we were able to disconnect the two wires and the CDI was FREE!!!!

I just returned from the Post Office where I expressed the CDI to Chris who will "certify" that the CDI is "broke" and ship it off to Italy for replacement ... I figure 3-4 weeks at best! My biggest fear is that I'll still have no spark with the replacement!

On a side note, Chris says Fokker Red Oratex 600 may not be available until MUCH later in the year. He said he will try to "snag" enough of the 6000 at Oshkosh to get my wings and horizontal stab done. Also, I've visited several stores looking at Krylon Spray Acrylics seeking a match for my sample of Fokker Red to at least paint the bubble cowl ... nothing come close enough ... same for high-gloss Rust-Oleum. Will revert to my go-to, expensive duPont Imron store on Monday.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: CEI finally removed for return/replacement

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Fingers crossed that the replacmenet CDI is your fix! As for the paint, on the bright side you won't need too much of it!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Agreed, here's hoping the CDI is the problem. Kurt, is your hanger/shop air-conditioned? Looks like we're heading back into a hot week. 🥵
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Hangar/Shop is not air-conditioned, but I have a really nice Harbor Freight 30" pedestal fan that really helps. If it were oscillating, it would be perfect. I MAY try out the PPG paint today since the humidity is down somewhat. I'm not a great painter, but the cowl should be a nice project. The PPG guy said that the Durethane product sprays very nicely. I'll keep the group informed ...

Still have not received the Sky Blue color sample from Chris ... bummed out about the Oratex and the CDI ... still worry that the new CDI will NOY fix the No Spark problem.