Stewart Systems Covering?

This Forum is specific to the Badland Aircraft F1 through F5 series of ultralights. Unquestionably the most awesome ultralight available. The F1 through F5 are an advanced design of the Kitfox Lite, the ultralight version of the incredible and very popular Kitfox STOL experimental. If you want information about the ultimate in ultralight, this is the forum for you.

Don't forget to check out Tech Tips & Shared Knowledge sub-forum below.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

ksatter26

Stewart Systems Covering?

Post by ksatter26 »

No planed Oratex 600 Fokker Red production in the forseeable future ... according the Facebook BetterAircraftFabric site.

I'm almost ready so has anyone used tge Stewart System ( with exterior latex paint)?

I used regular dacron and HomeDepot exterior latex on my MiniMAX 1103 project with acceptable, but not showroom, results.

Comment/thoughts?
Mountain Cat

Re: Stewart Systems Covering?

Post by Mountain Cat »

After using Poly-Fiber for 30+ years, I switched to Stewarts System. I love it! The fabric is basically all the same just different names. The SS coatings are great to work with and easy. Once you use the Eko-fill (UV blocker) you can use any water based paint with reasonable results. It's not real glossy like SS Eko-poly but its a tenth of the price. Eko-poly is pretty pricy. You will get a satin/semi-gloss finish from Latex, but it will look decent. One tip I always tell people (and they usually don't do it) is make a couple of 3'X3' panels and finish them the same way you do the aircraft and in the colors you paint the aircraft. You can just use some scrap wood, metal or what ever you have on hand to make the frame. Then you have patches pre made to use if you get a tear, hole or boo-boo. You can use any good contact cement to apply the patch. And not have to try to paint the patch to match. Just a tip, use it or not.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Stewart Systems Covering?

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

That is actually a great tip regarding making patches. I like it.