F2/Thump Air 460 engine

If your very new to ultralights, jump in here and post your questions. Here's where you continue to gain information about ultralights, what you can and can't do with them, and what the real possibilities are. This Forum is where the only stupid question is the one not asked. So post that question and get some answers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ultralight flying.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

freedomflyer

F2/Thump Air 460 engine

Post by freedomflyer »

Has anyone completed an F2 kit with a Thump Air 460 engine?
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: F2/Thump Air 460 engine

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

freedomflyer wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:02 pm Has anyone completed an F2 kit with a Thump Air 460 engine?
I spoke with Chris at Badland Aircraft a few weeks ago. At that time he said the Thump Air is still in final testing. I think only Chris has flown a Badland with it and Scott Skallski has flown with it but, I'm not sure what ultralight, possibly his 103. You can contact Scott here (posting.php?mode=quote&p=1172) AKA: Kid Chaos for more information.

Todd
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Chris told me that he was working on an improved mount for tge Thump and wanted more test time on the configuration.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Todd I think Scott has done some circuits around the patch with the Thumpair mounted on his Aerolite...do you know if he has tested beyond that as of yet?
freedomflyer

Post by freedomflyer »

Thanks for all the information you guys are great!!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

ksatter26 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:57 pm Chris told me that he was working on an improved mount for tge Thump and wanted more test time on the configuration.
As always, Chris is looking for the best strength to weight ratio. Perfectionist he is!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:59 pm Todd I think Scott has done some circuits around the patch with the Thumpair mounted on his Aerolite...do you know if he has tested beyond that as of yet?
No on Scott's testing. I recall at our virtual Fly-In Scott was looking at TBO testing so I'd guess he is putting hours on it. I caught a video today of another 4 stroke for ultralights on YT today. I won't mention who makes the engine, but they were looking at 500 hours for TBO. That's not bad. The part I didn't care for was they couldn't give the cost of the TBO, but hinted of $5k and up. That leads to the next part I didn't care for, the price was over $9k! Ouch! The burn rate was good, at 1.2 gallons per hour. One other thing mentioned I don't care for is that the engine spins up to 10,000 RPM! That seems to me to be way high. I don't remember what the running RPM is for the Thump Air. I believe if the Thump Air was even close to this, I would have remembered it.

It looks like the developers are listening to the ultralight community for the need of 4 stroke powerplants. Hopefully soon we'll have access to some new technology engines.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

freedomflyer wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:44 pm Thanks for all the information you guys are great!!
Happy to help. We do try and keep up with all the new technology coming out for ultralights. Much of it is secret so it's hard to find. Take care.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I think that was the Aero 1000 engine. I watched the same video. 500 hrs is a reasonable TBO. For most that is about 10 years flying. I have no choice but to put this Polini 303DS on a test stand and get it dialed in and fine tuned.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

That could very well be the engine. The big surprise was the price. I could purchase a Hirth F23 for less. Understood that there is a big difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke, but when measuring HP vs Cost, comparing to the Thump Air price, and the cost of a rebuild, that's a bit to expensive of an engine for me.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I agree. Almost 10K for a single cylinder engine is pretty steep. The Thump-Air is a much better deal for the same HP. Expect a few minor issues with it though. Every new engine goes through a teething process. But they will get worked out.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Mountain Cat, is that to say you are hanging onto the 303? You are gonna give it a go?
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

No, but can't seem to sell it. Maybe if one could see it running and fully operational, then maybe it would sell. My price is so low now that I can't go any lower. I had it running on my airframe but a test stand would be just as good and wouldn't tie up the airframe. Someone might want the whole ball of wax, engine, test stand, gauges, prop and everything already assembled.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Are you still asking 3k plus shipping? If so, I'll take it.

If you are okay with this, can you send some pics of all the ancillary bits that are included? Also let me know shipping costs to zip code 91303.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:48 am I agree. Almost 10K for a single cylinder engine is pretty steep. The Thump-Air is a much better deal for the same HP. Expect a few minor issues with it though. Every new engine goes through a teething process. But they will get worked out.
Yep, and right now I have some time while waiting for my kit. That gives me some breathing room to build up engine funding while they perfect the Thump Air.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I'll try the pictures. Hate to find out the shipping cost for 3 boxes.
Attachments
IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0583 (1).JPG
IMG_0581 (1).JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Including engine adapter as well or are you keeping that? I ask because mine is not the best fit. It may have warped a bit during welding.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Includes the whole package as I got it from Chris for $7500 ready to bolt on to a Badland. I also bought 2 bleeder valves for the radiator hoses and the 90 deg thermostat housing. Plus a standard CHT sender. Chris's package includes his engine mount for the Badland. I did have it installed on the SkyRaider so the only thing you would need is maybe longer coolant hoses (maybe) and some hose clamps. I also have the operations manual that I printed off and all receipts. No modifications to the engine componets have been made and nothing has been modified from the original engine package. The only part I modified was one of the bleeder valves to accept the coolant temp probe. And those are extra parts anyhow. Even the battery is included. I am keeping nothing that has to do with the Polini installation. It all goes with the engine. My personal E-mail is *********************** (edited out to prevent bots from turning your email address into more spam for you. Suggest you send using a private message.)
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Weighed the 3 boxes this morning and total shipping weight is 84 lbs. Will check with FedEx today and see the cost.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Sounds good Allen. I'll reach out from my e-mail address (**************************) (edited out to prevent bots from turning your email address into more spam for you. Suggest you send using a private message.) to coordinate payment with you.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Sounds good. You're getting a heck of a deal! Shouldn't need anything else to have it flyable, maybe a couple bolts to mount the Badlands mount to the airframe.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Only way I can ship is USPS. All 3 boxes with insurance is around $425.00 So you can decide. Allen 304-847-5723
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

That works for me - perhaps I can give you a call this evening after work to coordinate. Will that work?
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I am available anytime after 7 PM EST. until 11 PM. Feel free to call.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Not to use a cliche, Allen, but the check is in the mail!

Let me know when you receive it!
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

OK, I should get it next week. When it clears, I'll mail the packages and send the tracking numbers to your personal E-mail. I like to keep in contact with the buyer till everything is a done deal.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:16 pm OK, I should get it next week. When it clears, I'll mail the packages and send the tracking numbers to your personal E-mail. I like to keep in contact with the buyer till everything is a done deal.
Picturing a very giddy Peer as he waits for an early Christmas 🎁
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Heck of a deal, but since I can't use it, I hope he is happy with it. Even though I ran it for 20 min to verify everything was working OK, he will still have to set it up and adjust for his conditions. But that is the fun part.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

I look forward to just getting my 303 to start.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

This one WILL start and run. One piece of advice, have a couple good grounds.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Will do. I had to do the same with my current engine (create a good ground) when I realized the kill switch wasn't dousing the spark. :)

I take it there is decent documentation regarding the wiring?
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Todd, you are not mistaken. I already have the other engine mostly disassembled and ready to pull off the mount. :)
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

As far as information, Polini Parts.com has some info that can be downloaded and Leon Whacker carries many parts in stock. I've ordered several optional parts from him and pretty quick service.