CDI/Relay Replacements here - Await wiring mods info

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

CDI/Relay Replacements here - Await wiring mods info

Post by ksatter26 »

The proper CDI finally showed up complete with a wiring harness. However, in preparation for reinstalling the CDI we again checked the COBO 12vdc/200A relay (that was working when removed) and found that we must have damaged the relay as we got no "click" on energizing. I ordered a replacement from Polini Parts and when it arrived (with the proper Polini and COBO part numbers) it had a couple of wire connectors already attached along with an instruction sheet stating that we needed to add a wire from pin 30 to battery positive.

ReplacementHarness.JPG
ReplacementRelay.JPG

The original (as delivered on the engine) did not have this. I sent out some emails to try and ascertain if/why this is now required. Chris, Peer, and Todd were unable to help. I contacted Leon at Polini Parts and he requested my 303 Serial Number to get a response from Polini Italy. We are awaiting that info before proceeding with the installation.

In the meantime, I have started to mask out the cowling "bumps" for painting black. I will run a thin strip of clear sealant along the edges for a crisp outline. Having been warned about the possibility of incompatible solvents, I just came in from running a test on the clear cowl paint/clear sealant/gloss black for compatibility. So far all seems well but will check again i the morning before spraying the black

IMG_1044.JPG

It's good to be back building again.