Air Box - Radiator Mount - Plumbing

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Air Box - Radiator Mount - Plumbing

Post by ksatter26 »

I believe Chris discarded the Polini Air Box ... as can be seen on his website ... I did the same.

NoAirbox.JPG

I got my low profile air filter on Amazon and cut a short strip of rubber that wraps around the throat secured with hose clamps. It is easy to get on and off to remove the cowl. If you check some entries in my Build Log you'll see that the worst part was modifying the cowl for the "potuberances".

IMG_0940.JPG

I thought I covered the radiator mount pretty well in the Build Log (~ January 3, 2023). I used 3/4" x 1/8" strip aluminum from Home Depot to bend up the mounts. I Drilled the lower holes oversized and added rubber grommets for the posts on the bottom of the radiator and the single post on the top. Easily removed (if necessary)by removing the 2 AN3 bolts from the upper mount arm.

RaadiatorMountParts (1).JPG

Repositioned Radiator01.JPG

I ran the overflow hoses down to the post mount leg and used zip ties to keep them in place.

RadiatorReservoirHoses00.jpg

Another challenge was changing the upper head cooling fittings required to relocate the radiator. I also covered this somewhere in my Build Log. I purchased a right-angle fitting to replace the straight one on the engine, but found that I also needed an adapter plate. Both came from Polini Parts (Leon a big help). However, the exit flaring on the fitting is oversize for the Polini supplied original hoses. I eventually found a Camaro reduction hose on an auto racing parts site (Amazon) that worked.

16mmWaterOutlet.JPG
22.2mmWaterOutlet.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_1054.JPG

The white tape is anti-friction tape just in case the hoses rub against the rough inside of the fiberglass cowling. I also ran this tape along the cowl edge where it meets the plexiglass windscreen.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Air Box - Radiator Mount - Plumbing

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

These are very helpful, thanks! I suppose I should have checked the build log first. :/

I have the same issue with the 90 degree elbow being a larger diameter. I think it's originally designed for one of the other Polini engines, but I don't recall if it was for the 202 or the 250. I managed to stretch the Polini hose enough to fit. The silicone hoses have a fair amount of stretch and flex.'

I turned my radiator the other way round and used half of the provided mount. It looks like you did a nice job of mimicking the mounting points of the original mounting bracket. I like it.

I notice you only have one in-line bleeder for the upper hoses. Does the elbow adapter have a bleed screw on it? I don't recall seeing it on mine, but will need to check again.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

No bleeder on the top hose. I probably should add one.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I just received mine in the mail...man, they ain't cheap!
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

On a related note, does anyone know what the style of hose clamp Polini provides is called? Is it their proprietary design? Trying to find the equivalent online has proved difficult.
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

I do not know the type of Polini clamp. I bought a tool on Amazon that makes clamps of any size from safety wire. It's documented, with pictures, in my build log.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hey Kurt. I saw that. A pretty cool tool. I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything. I just haven't been able to find the same style reusable clamp, and I like the design and the light weight.