Hello from Bob in Mapleton, Utah

Introduce youreself. Please tell us about yourself. What is your interest in flying ultralights; do you have an ultralight? Are you planning on buying a kit or fully built ultralight? The more you tell us the better we'll be able to have discussions with you and possibly answer questions you may have. Welcome to Badland 103 Forum.

Check the Rules and Forum Story before posting.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

bobmeister

Hello from Bob in Mapleton, Utah

Post by bobmeister »

Hi all,

I'm 64 and I have had a Private Pilot rating since 1986 and in 1999 I earned my commercial rating in hot air balloons. I flew balloons until 2018 and then sold my balloon and I've been flightless ever since. I still dream of owning and flying something with wings.

Due to a medical issue I'm relegated to part 103 Ultralight. I could pursue regaining my medical because the issue was administrative but it would be more costly that it's worth so it's Part 103 for me.

I just learned of the Badland F series and I'm seriously considering building and flying it. I'm glad that there's a new 4-stroke engine in town, namely the Thump Air 460. Perfect timing.

In doing some Google searches I saw that there was an accident in Virginia involving an F3 this summer. No information about the cause was available. I'm glad that the pilot was ok. Does anyone have any more info? Was it an engine failure and a prop-strike/cartwheel upon landing? Pilot error or product issue?

Again, nice to meet you all!
Kaveman

Re: Hello from Bob in Mapleton, Utah

Post by Kaveman »

Hiya, Bob! I hadn't heard of the incident, but after a bit of googling I found it in Aviation Safety Network's website. After pursuing all the links, I did happen across a tiddly bit more info and a single, grainy photo.

Apparently they "had to extricate the pilot", and he was air evaced to a local hospital with non life threatening injuries. Other than cutting his seat belt, I can't imagine what they mean. The photo shows an intact fuselage, sitting atop collapsed landing gear. Approximately one third, to one half of the right wing is damaged.

I could offer assumptions all day, but I am neither an accident investigator, nor even a pilot. I'm just a hillbilly from the mountains of Arizona with too many chainsaws. All that said, I saw nothing in that *single* photo, to indicate that the airframe failed in anyway. The A$$ I make of my self says that this was a powerplant issue, and the pilot made an emergency landing, an eventful one. It may be that the "non life threatening injuries" he sustained was a lump on the head and concussion when the plane whipped around. It's hard to tell exactly from the angle of the single low quality photo, but I think the plane spun when the right wing hit the ground. OR he set it down hard, collapsed the gear, and then the wingtip hit. Either way, not so good for the noggin. Obviously there's lots of other ways to pick up injuries that they'll medevac for. Regardless I hope the pilot has made a full recovery. Hopefully we'll get some more info some day, but that is only likely if he, or someone close to him puts his story on line where a member would find it.

All aircraft are subject to gravity, and a perfectly safe aircraft is still subject to imperfect piloting. I'll take my chances with this company, just like I have to do at work.

Blah blah blah, welcome to the forum from the other new guy! At least you know how to fly, I only know how to fall!
Kaveman

Post by Kaveman »

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/ ... bfcba77f6e

Above is a link to a local news story. The embedded video includes a second photo, showing the front of the plane. The thing was pretty snarled up. Hard to tell what was crash damage and what was EMT. Didn't spot any blood, which is promising.

Enough of my Monday morning quarter backing.
bobmeister

Accident was Pilot Error

Post by bobmeister »

Hi All,

I asked Chris D. about the accident and it turned out to be 100% admitted pilot error. The pilot took over overweight in gusty conditions. There was a treeline ahead that he was unable to climb over. He banked away at high angle of attack and stall spun into the ground, hitting nose first. So there's no product issue. Important safety tip: Check weight and balance like any good pilot and the required distance to clear a 50 ft obstacle, etc.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Thanks for posting Bobmeister because it saved me the effort. Pilot is apparently healing up nicely the last I heard.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Also, they had to cut away much of the airframe to extricate him. What you see in the photos was not crash damage.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

bobmeister wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:25 pm Hi all,

I'm 64 and I have had a Private Pilot rating since 1986 and in 1999 I earned my commercial rating in hot air balloons. I flew balloons until 2018 and then sold my balloon and I've been flightless ever since. I still dream of owning and flying something with wings.

Due to a medical issue I'm relegated to part 103 Ultralight. I could pursue regaining my medical because the issue was administrative but it would be more costly that it's worth so it's Part 103 for me.

I just learned of the Badland F series and I'm seriously considering building and flying it. I'm glad that there's a new 4-stroke engine in town, namely the Thump Air 460. Perfect timing.

In doing some Google searches I saw that there was an accident in Virginia involving an F3 this summer. No information about the cause was available. I'm glad that the pilot was ok. Does anyone have any more info? Was it an engine failure and a prop-strike/cartwheel upon landing? Pilot error or product issue?

Again, nice to meet you all!
Welcome to the forum Bob. I won't go over the accident as others have done so. I'm in the same boat (or plane situation :D ), medical is too much of a pain and expensive to put me back into an FAA registered aircraft. I'm also looking at the Thump Air, but had almost decided on the Hirth F23. Lots of power, but still a two-stroke. I like the 4 stroke because of the higher, (though not majorly significant anymore) reliability, plus the better fuel mileage (flight time) the 4 strokes provide. I can tell you a bit about Chris and his work ethic. He's extremely picky about the constructions of his Badland aircraft. Simply, flaws will not make it out the door, even if it's only cosmetic. Chris is also pretty much a master welder, so strength is not an issue with his builds. He's described the F series as being very docile and easy to fly. There are around 16 builds and he continues to pump them out as quickly as he can. I've got my build projected to be ready for pickup before the end of the year. That may extend a bit, based on supplies and other potential hang-ups, but I'm hoping to get the kit before Christmas! I've ordered the F5 Fujita, which is the Titanium flagship for Badland Aircraft. I figure, I'm retired, I want what I want :D and since I can't fly the fastest Titanium production aircraft (The SR-71 Blackbird), I'll at least get to fly the slowest! Plus, I like STOL and think this plane will be a lot of fun for that. I mean a UL STOL aircraft, what could be more fun? Nice to meet you and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to post, so we can get you as much information as possible. Take care,

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

By the way, Bob, welcome to the forum!