Full Cover or No.

This Forum is specific to the Badland Aircraft F1 through F5 series of ultralights. Unquestionably the most awesome ultralight available. The F1 through F5 are an advanced design of the Kitfox Lite, the ultralight version of the incredible and very popular Kitfox STOL experimental. If you want information about the ultimate in ultralight, this is the forum for you.

Don't forget to check out Tech Tips & Shared Knowledge sub-forum below.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Dobie

Full Cover or No.

Post by Dobie »

I recently took a PPG demo flight, and while I know flying solo with the ability to get low and do such maneuvers as wingovers would be more fun than the dual flight, not to mention overall portability and store ability, I wasn’t thrilled and I think a fixed wing is still my choice. However, the flight did get me to question my presumption that I would want my Badlands fully covered and with doors. Now I’m thinking half naked may be the way to get closer to nature. Granted the cruise speed is significantly higher and therefore the wind (and noise) would be more intense. I haven’t looked into the weight and cost differences since I’m still far from ready to call Chris and place an order. What do you all in the gallery have to say?
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Full Cover or No.

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

As someone who went with the "1/4 naked" look, I say "go for it"! But I may be a bit biased.

The weight difference is likely only a few pounds in my case, since I went with the Oratex covering, which is quite light. Not having flown my UL yet, I can't speak to the wind noise. But from my understanding, the windscreen is quite effective, and I imagine the sound of the 2 stroke engine will defeat any wind noise (assuming you go that route). But that's just an uneducated guess on my part.

One benefit to no doors is that you can coordinate your turns based on the breeze on your elbows. :)
Plane_Final_Cowl_02.jpg