The kit business

This Forum is specific to the Badland Aircraft F1 through F5 series of ultralights. Unquestionably the most awesome ultralight available. The F1 through F5 are an advanced design of the Kitfox Lite, the ultralight version of the incredible and very popular Kitfox STOL experimental. If you want information about the ultimate in ultralight, this is the forum for you.

Don't forget to check out Tech Tips & Shared Knowledge sub-forum below.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Mountain Cat

The kit business

Post by Mountain Cat »

Just read where Van's Aircraft was having some issues with the financial part of the business. Hope Chris is hanging in there strong! I've always thought that a 15K-20K kit was easier to sell than a 60K kit. But then, what do I know? Some people just can't afford a 100K airplane to play with. Mainly me!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: The kit business

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Mountain Cat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:20 pm Just read where Van's Aircraft was having some issues with the financial part of the business. Hope Chris is hanging in there strong! I've always thought that a 15K-20K kit was easier to sell than a 60K kit. But then, what do I know? Some people just can't afford a 100K airplane to play with. Mainly me!
It's sort of a catch 22. Chris is so meticulous about ever part of the plane that "good enough for the government" simply isn't good enough. This of course slows production. He's told me about getting help, but the attention to detail he demands out of the product makes finding someone for the job very difficult. I've got to give him a call and find out where he's at on my kit.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

What problems is Vans experiencing?
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

From what I read its due to several issues. One was the laser cut parts they use to speed up production. Seems they wasn't holding up and had to be replaced. And as everything after Covid, things are tough to rebound. Kitfox had the same issues in the late 90's. The market was flooded with Kitfoxes and new kits just wasn't selling like they once did. The RV series is a pretty intense kit to build and rare to get one in the air for under 65K-75K. And in the last couple years, ultralights are making a strong comeback. UL's are plain and simple and FUN!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:39 am From what I read its due to several issues. One was the laser cut parts they use to speed up production. Seems they wasn't holding up and had to be replaced. And as everything after Covid, things are tough to rebound. Kitfox had the same issues in the late 90's. The market was flooded with Kitfoxes and new kits just wasn't selling like they once did. The RV series is a pretty intense kit to build and rare to get one in the air for under 65K-75K. And in the last couple years, ultralights are making a strong comeback. UL's are plain and simple and FUN!
Just what flying is supposed to be about. 😁
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Ouch. That's a tough blow. And covid didn't help, as in most cases. But very true about Ultralights. I feel like the field just keeps expanding. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, to be honest.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:42 pm Ouch. That's a tough blow. And covid didn't help, as in most cases. But very true about Ultralights. I feel like the field just keeps expanding. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, to be honest.
I think the FAA designed Part 103 around the Darwin Awards, knowing the idiots they would normally have to deal with will eventually eliminate themselves from the flying community 😆
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Haha you are probably right...now, what side of that equation am I on??? 🤔
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:06 pm Haha you are probably right...now, what side of that equation am I on??? 🤔
Hopefully on the right side! As long as you take a professional approach. A UL is just fast enough to barely kill you. #1. If something isn't right, make it right. #2 If you don't have the correct part, wait till you do. #3 Maintain it as it was Air Force One. #4. Spend the time learning to handle it. Following these basic rules will keep you alive and flying happy.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Agreed - all good words to live by for sure.