Hello from Michigan

Introduce youreself. Please tell us about yourself. What is your interest in flying ultralights; do you have an ultralight? Are you planning on buying a kit or fully built ultralight? The more you tell us the better we'll be able to have discussions with you and possibly answer questions you may have. Welcome to Badland 103 Forum.

Check the Rules and Forum Story before posting.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

TL1960

Hello from Michigan

Post by TL1960 »

Hi,
My name is Tom and I live in West Michigan. I've been interested in Badland Aircraft for much longer than the company has existed. Specifically, I thought the Kitfox was the coolest airplane I'd ever seen when it first came out, and then came the Kitfox Lite. Chris's quality and workmanship are incredible, so you can imagine how impressed I was when I disovered his aircraft.

I haven't built a Badland aircraft, and won't for some time, although I'd love to someday. To meet my budget requirements and my lifelong dream of building, I'm going to build an AirBike 103 from plans. The wood construction is intuitive enough for me (lifelong model builder), and I have all of the resources I need to safely build with wood full-scale. However, I don't know how to weld yet and plan to use TIG, so big learning curve there. But this is more about the experience than how long it takes me to finish and fly. I'm retired now and in no rush.

I am do have a Private Pilot's license for Gliders and stay current. So, as long as I get a decent amount of tailwheel instruction before I fly, I should be fine.

So, thanks for having me. I hope it's OK that I"m not a current Badland builder or pilot, but I'd love to be one in the future.

Tom
Mountain Cat

Re: Hello from Michigan

Post by Mountain Cat »

Hello Tom, welcome. I am a member just like you. The Badlands is a top shelf ultralight. Chris has put the effort into it and it is one of the best. As soon as they get the Thump-Air engine fully tested, it will be even better. Hang in there and learn all you can from this group and someday it will all come together. I am working on a SkyRaider 1, which is the granddaddy of the Badlands, and the Kitfox Lite. Chris has refined the airframe a little bit and made it lighter, but still similar. Since the SR1 is not available anymore, the Badlands took over it's mission. Chris will work with you anyway to get you started on your plane. Even if its one piece at a time. Its only too late when regrets take the place of dreams!
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Welcome Tom! Much like you, I was aware of the design long before Badland came into being - first in the form of the Kitfox Lite, and then as the Belite that James Weibe was manufacturing for a short time. A good looking bird, and it met my specs (most importantly the folding wings).

No matter that you don't have a Badland kit currently; the more the merrier, I think.

My kit is in the final stages of completion (90% done, 90% to go, as they say). I am in the process of finding (and modifying) a trailer so I can drag it to the nearest lake bed and start taxi testing. In the meantime I've been taking flying lessons. Some day I'll actually be in the air...and hopefully be able to get back to the ground safely!

Peer (in Los Angeles)
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

TL1960 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:26 pm Hi,
My name is Tom and I live in West Michigan. I've been interested in Badland Aircraft for much longer than the company has existed. Specifically, I thought the Kitfox was the coolest airplane I'd ever seen when it first came out, and then came the Kitfox Lite. Chris's quality and workmanship are incredible, so you can imagine how impressed I was when I disovered his aircraft.

I haven't built a Badland aircraft, and won't for some time, although I'd love to someday. To meet my budget requirements and my lifelong dream of building, I'm going to build an AirBike 103 from plans. The wood construction is intuitive enough for me (lifelong model builder), and I have all of the resources I need to safely build with wood full-scale. However, I don't know how to weld yet and plan to use TIG, so big learning curve there. But this is more about the experience than how long it takes me to finish and fly. I'm retired now and in no rush.

I am do have a Private Pilot's license for Gliders and stay current. So, as long as I get a decent amount of tailwheel instruction before I fly, I should be fine.

So, thanks for having me. I hope it's OK that I"m not a current Badland builder or pilot, but I'd love to be one in the future.

Tom
Hi Tom, welcome. We appreciate and welcome all UL and yes even light sport and general aviation enthusiasts and pilots. While we focus on the Badland Aircraft, we're here for everyone that love flying. My aircraft of desire originally was the Velocity canard. I loved the plane and wanted one. I started my flight training, but because of life intervening I didn't complete my training/testing. In 2004 I had a heart attack, and at that time, getting through the FAA was nearly impossible. That has been made easier, over the years, but not much. I pretty much gave up on flying. Ultralights were always an option, but none had any appeal to me, that is until I saw the Badland Aircraft. The Badland's look like (and according to many Badland owners) they fly like real airplanes. The Badland also introduced me to STOL aircraft. Quickly I realized, I could fly again, and who needs airports with a STOL aircraft! My kit is being built now, and then I get to follow those before me, and build my F5. It sounds like you've got some excellent skills for building and flying. I also recently retired, so building an airplane is a great thing to do instead of sit in front of a TV and wasting away. Hit us with any questions you have and jump into conversations. We're glad you joined the group and look forward to chatting with you.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

"Hit us with any questions you have and jump into conversations. We're glad you joined the group and look forward to chatting with you."

Also, feel free to post a build log when you start construction on the Airbike. I'm sure there will be applicable tricks and tips that translate to all ULs.
CraigDowning

Post by CraigDowning »

Hi fellows,
I also live in Michigan in the "Thumb" and have had a downpayment on an F2 for awhile. Really looking forward to the build. I am sure that I have the technical experience to build it but dont know yet if I have the balls to fly it. I do not have a license but I did train in a Cessna 152 back in the 90s until a wife and children took precedence. Anyone out there that can give me advice on building the plane or flying it will be appreciated.
GaryR

Post by GaryR »

HI Tom. Seems to be quite a few of us with a similar story to yours. Dreamed of flying for a long time and life got in the way and now building a ultralight type airplane is the answer to that dream. I wish I had discovered the Badland before I acquired a powered parachute (with a rotax that needs work) and a mini max that needs finishing and an engine. Then I met Chris and saw the Kitfox looking plane and a used like new plane was for sale. I am the proud new owner. Getting it up in the air is my goal for sure this year. The stories on this forum help keep the motivation alive. Especially watching those building the kits and seeing the progress. So welcome and hope to see a report of you getting a plane in the air!
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Craig, you aren't the only one in this boat. I am almost done building my F-2 (90% done, 90% to go, as they say) and am wondering the same thing regarding flying it. Will I have the nerve? We will see. In the meantime I am doing everything to make sure I am ready to "meet the moment" when it arises. I've been training in a 172 for the past few months, and am confident that I can bring the plane down consistently, comfortably and in one piece. However the Cessna has a nose wheel, which I understand helps quite a bit. :lol:

From what I've been told, the very large control surfaces on the Badland do help in taming the beast, so to speak. And while no taildragger is completely docile, this is certainly a benefit. I intend to find a very large piece of ground (dry lake bed near me) and practice taxiing until I am comfortable with the plane (and have built some muscle memory), then slowly work my way up from there.

At worst I might ground loop it...right? :roll: