Oratex Patterns - Fuselage Underside

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Oratex Patterns - Fuselage Underside

Post by ksatter26 »

Rather than remove the landing gear setup, with firewall forward removed, I elevated the front of the airframe and am in the process of making "butcher paper" patterns for layout onto the Sky Blue Oratex.

I started at the firewall and made copious measurements (which naturally have to be modified) which I then transferred to the butcher paper. I later taped the forward end (allowing for a 3" glue seam per the Oratex manual) then proceeded to stretch the paper out over the airframe marking cross-members, gear, and lift strut fitting locations for trim.

IMG_1075.JPG

I found that it was easier to make a separate pattern for the gear fittings; using the airframe tube center-lines for positioning; then transferred cutout patterns to the butcher paper.

IMG_1074.JPG

Wooden close-pins are really handy for securing the paper to the airframe so that I can reach inside and mark the locations of the airframe cross-members for positioning the glue-lines on the fabric. I'm pretty sure they will be of great help in securing the Oratex as well.

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

Tomorrow I hope to garner the courage to actually make the first cut of my Sky Blue Oratex.

Engine due back from FL on Monday!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Oratex Patterns - Fuselage Underside

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Nice plan Kurt. I can't see this not being successful and efficient.

Todd
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

A better choice for the paper would be a thinner, white butcher paper. What I'm using is a roll of painter's nasking paper from Home Depot.

I have to netsuke and transfer the cross-member glue lines from one side to the other.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:43 pm A better choice for the paper would be a thinner, white butcher paper. What I'm using is a roll of painter's nasking paper from Home Depot.

I have to netsuke and transfer the cross-member glue lines from one side to the other.
Yes, but you know how that goes....thinking the butcher paper might end up tearing too easy or have other issues. There's always something you know. In prepping my house for sale I picked up painters paper in two different size roles. The shorter of the two was much thinner.

Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Kurt, I didn't fret too much about the pattern around the gear legs. A little gap isn't necessarily a bad thing since some drainage is called for on the underside of the fuselage. I added doublers in those key areas and trimmed them close, but not too close.