What's the big deal with the F-5?

This Forum is specific to the Badland Aircraft F1 through F5 series of ultralights. Unquestionably the most awesome ultralight available. The F1 through F5 are an advanced design of the Kitfox Lite, the ultralight version of the incredible and very popular Kitfox STOL experimental. If you want information about the ultimate in ultralight, this is the forum for you.

Don't forget to check out Tech Tips & Shared Knowledge sub-forum below.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

What's the big deal with the F-5?

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

The F-5 Fujita is the flagship of the Badland Aircraft line of ultralights. So what does this mean? Each Badland model differs in wing size, landing gear, brake type, and other features. Just like with automobiles Badland Aircraft offers upgrades to any model. Most of these upgrades are higher quality and better performance changes. There is one exception which is a major improvement. The F-5 Fujita has a very unique frame. The frame is titanium. So what's so great about titanium? Titanium is not only stronger than steal, it has another desirable trait especially for ultralights. This trait is the super lightweight of titanium. The F-5 Fujita frame only weighs in at 26 pounds. If I remember correctly this is around 16+ pounds lighter than the F-1 through F-4 frame. Now 16+ pounds doesn't sound like much, but to aircraft, especially ultralights, 16+ pounds is an excellent weight savings. This frame does come at a cost. Titanium isn't inexpensive. For some (like me), it's well worth it. I recommend doing research and then deciding on what you want your Badland Aircraft to do, and select the model that fits your needs and desires in ultralight flight.
mrpilotron

Re: What's the big deal with the F-5?

Post by mrpilotron »

Do you know if they have actually built an F-5 yet? I was under the impression that it was a theoretical concept.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Yes Chris has built and delivered I think one but possibly two. I'm on the list and hoping he gets to my kit build soon. I'm looking forward to the weight savings the titanium will bring. Expensive - Yes, but hey I can't take my retirement with me so I might as well enjoy it - right? I know Chris has ordered or is ordering a CNC machine to do precision cutting for both this steal as well as titanium frame parts. Chris is also a craftsman (and I'm not sure but I think) master welder. I do know he has experience with welding both materials. Can you imagine lifting the frame (no wings of course) of an airplane with one arm? Yes, ultralight, but really -titanium puts that in the true sense of the word.
mrpilotron

Post by mrpilotron »

Chris mentioned last week when I visited the factory that he would be using CNC in the very near future to do the cuts. He already has the ribs and most of the brackets cut by CNC. I saw what a fantastic benefit this is when I visited the Rans factory in December. The CNC notched tubes fit together perfectly after just a quick brush with a wire wheel to clean up the plasma-cut edges. As a welder myself with a lot of experience notching tubes, I was really impressed with how much labor this can save. It also makes the final product accuracy much easier to achieve.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

That is fantastic news. I try and stay out of Chris's hair in bugging him of where I'm at on the kit build list. I figure the less I bug him, the more time he has to spend building the kits in front of mine. Thank you though for passing on the info on the CNC equipment. The perfect fitting parts adds strength and speed to build. Nothing you don't know since it sounds like you've got experience in metal work.
Terry Croup aka Baron Von

Post by Terry Croup aka Baron Von »

The F1 through F4 fuselage weighs about 42 pounds, then does anyone know how much the wings weigh without fabric or paint?
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Terry the weight may vary a bit because the different versions come with different lengths of wings. I'll see if I can get a hold of Chris to give a general idea of what they come in at and get back to you.

Todd
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Got you an answer Terry. I must have gotten lucky and caught Chris at his keyboard -

Bare wing weighs about 33lbs. 🙂

Thank you,

Chris Deuel
Badland Aircraft
507-218-8232