Threaded Oratex

This forum contains builder discussion topics. These are topics where members can post messages to the builders. These topics will stay at the top of the Badland Builds forum topics for easy access.

Members are encouraged to subscribe to builders they wish to follow. To subscribe, go into the Badlands Builds forum, scroll down to Topics. Select the topic of the builder you wish to follow. Click on the wrench at the top of the message (right next to the Post Reply). Click on the Subscribe Topic. From then on an email notice will be sent when a post is made in that builder's discussion log topic. Builders are encouraged to subscribe to their own discussion topic so they will be notified when someone leaves a post for them.

At the very top of the Badlands Builds forum are the builders sub-forums. Builders are the only ones allowed to post in their own sub-forum (remember this is a log for them and others to follow, not a discussion area) - that's what the builder discussion topics are for.

Builders - submit a request using the comment, private message, or email to request a builder sub-forum. If we become aware of a build, in most cases we'll automatically create a builders log for the builder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Threaded Oratex

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

So I would like to have multiple colors using Oratex. The problem of course is how would the shrinking work with two different pieces of fabric. Speaking with Chris some time back, Chris mentioned that there is a way to do this, but the two pieces have to be joined and then shrunk together. This seems to be something that would be rather difficult. In fact, Chris mentioned, it is tricky. I was thinking of trying a different route. Now, I would not do this on flight surfaces. What if I cut the Oratex with fingers where it was to be glued to the frame of the plane? Please excuse my drawing below, it's the best I could come up with. Let's say I have red and blue Oratex. What if I cut it, so I could interlace the red and blue around the frame of the plane, wrapping just like would be done if it was a single sheet of Oratex. I was thinking, 1" pieces back and forth might offer enough strength and not cause an issue. The gray is the frame. Then, using some pinked tape, I glue it over the seam. Would this provide enough strength in a non-flight surface area? Ideas, comments? Any other ideas on how to do this multicolored Oratex?
ThreadedOratex.png
Todd
Mountain Cat

Re: Threaded Oratex

Post by Mountain Cat »

I guess you discovered one of the few disadvantages of Oratex. I've been doing fabric work for 40 yrs and cannot answer that. Joining two sections over a structure shouldn't be an issue. I would just shrink the glue line only enough to remove any wrinkles.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:14 am I guess you discovered one of the few disadvantages of Oratex. I've been doing fabric work for 40 yrs and cannot answer that. Joining two sections over a structure shouldn't be an issue. I would just shrink the glue line only enough to remove any wrinkles.
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that this shouldn't be a problem as long as I keep the sections where each piece feeds through the other small, maybe an inch or so. That should also keep any vibration or stretching problem to a minimum. As long as the section is not under stress, such as a flying surface would be pretty silly to try. Doing this to a flying surface, I might end up testing my BRS at the same time! Then using the pinked tape to cover where the two materials fold over each other, with the glue from Oratex (as I understand, it's super strong) that should hold the two materials together.

Yep, using material is a blessing and drawback at the same time.

Thanks,
Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Todd, are you talking about doing something similar to a finger joint when working with wood? (Sorry, I am having a hard time determining what your graphic is demonstrating. I blame it on only being on my first cup of coffee.) If so, that seems like a lot of work and a lot of precision cutting of the material.

I should think that, depending on where you need/want the color change, you could simply overlap the material enough to get a good bond, then add the tape as a layer of protection as well as to straighten the line between colors after shrinking (if need be).

As mentioned before, this glue is remarkably strong, and these aren't F-15s.

Did Chris mention how he handles the multiple color issue on his builds? Now I'm curious!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:48 am Todd, are you talking about doing something similar to a finger joint when working with wood? (Sorry, I am having a hard time determining what your graphic is demonstrating. I blame it on only being on my first cup of coffee.) If so, that seems like a lot of work and a lot of precision cutting of the material.

I should think that, depending on where you need/want the color change, you could simply overlap the material enough to get a good bond, then add the tape as a layer of protection as well as to straighten the line between colors after shrinking (if need be).

As mentioned before, this glue is remarkably strong, and these aren't F-15s.

Did Chris mention how he handles the multiple color issue on his builds? Now I'm curious!
Sorry, that drawing sort of sucks, but yes, finger joint that would wrap to the back side of the same material. The fingers would only glue to the back of the same material, red to red, blue to blue.

The precision cutting would be done with some sort of press cutter using a jig to make sure the cuts are identical.

When talking with Chris, the overlapping is what he mentioned that Oratex offered as a possible solution. The problem comes in with the shrinking. The overlapping has to be shrunk first, then glued together. You can figure this will distort the rest of the fabric making it difficult to install. Chris said he wasn't sure of the full process, but that Oratex noted, it's not easy.

Either way seems there are going to be some difficulties. I would rather put the material on with the fingers, then shrink it all, then cover the seam. Putting the material on partly pre-shrunk sounds more complex. Though my suggested way doesn't give any options for going off line of the frame supports (no curves and such).

As for how Chris handles it... as best I can tell, you're looking at painted birds or those like the silver are all one color with either Oratex pieces just cut and glued directly onto existing fabric or using some auto or RV striping decals.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

Auto decals would be your best and easiest option. They can be made to any design and color. And they are not heavy, easy to apply and generally do not come off. Using Oratex is weight saving but limits you somewhat.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Todd, I think you're right - all of Chris's designs seem to be another layer of Oratex over the existing covering to create the patterns. Another issue with overlapping colors is the bleed-through from one color to the next.

Auto decals aren't a bad idea.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:14 pm Todd, I think you're right - all of Chris's designs seem to be another layer of Oratex over the existing covering to create the patterns. Another issue with overlapping colors is the bleed-through from one color to the next.

Auto decals aren't a bad idea.
I have read about the transparency issue with Oratex, so was looking for a way to hide that. Thinking the pinked tape may do the trick. I'll have to do some testing to decide which method I'll end up using.
Bruce_L

Post by Bruce_L »

Has anybody used the oratex trim tapes for two color covering jobs? Could you use the trim tape to cover the seam where the two oratex 600 colors meet? Example: a blue upper fuselage with a silver lower fuselage while using a black stripe of oratex trim tape where the blue meets the silver.

Make the stripe a complementary color for your situation.
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I use automotive pinstripes to cover the paint line between two different colors. Or a decal/sign shop can make them in whatever width you need or want.
IMG_0564.JPG
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Now THOSE are pretty!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Very sharp! What's your consultation fee? 😁 I'm about as artistic as a slug! 🐌

Todd