V Stab: bad ... Cowl ... good

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

V Stab: bad ... Cowl ... good

Post by ksatter26 »

I beat myself up again this morning trying to get the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer to look presentable ... It currently looks only slightly better than my previous efforts. I've learned a lot about the application on curves and do have a lot of sky blue fabric so I will have the option of removing the current effort and starting over ...

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

After looking at that mess, I needed to something to lift my spirits a bit. Although I have a bit more to do on the Ploini 303 before I try a real startup, I decided I should see what the red/white/blue color scheme might look like with the red cowl mounted ...

IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1124.JPG

The red with black bumps does pop ... spirits lifted ... Will attack the v stab again after lunch while the weather holds.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: V Stab: bad ... Cowl ... good

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

It doesn't look terrible...but certainly a little rough. One thing you might consider is to not wrap the fabric so far into the flat area. It really just needs to cover the curve and reach the flat area, as I recall.

The Oratex instructions can confirm this.

The cowl looks great - it really pops! You might have some glare issues - it looks really shiny! LOL
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Fellers has an anti-glare, flat black vinyl wrap that I can add if it proves a problem.
ksatter26

FIXING TAPE

Post by ksatter26 »

I heard back from Janina in Anchorage. I had asked for a roll of EDGE tape used to set the overlap glue lines as seen in the YouTube video on covering a rudder.

She corrected me saying that edge tapes are colored tapes used for finishing and are special order from the plant in Germany. What is shown in the videos is FIXING tape.

She is sending me a roll of the fixing tape ... no clue as to cost.

I've discussed my covering order with Better Aircraft Fabrics in an earlier post. Basically not everything needed was included in the order. Also, if you plan on the half or quarter naked cover, EMPHASIZE this in your order. I got about one-third more of the e pensive material than I require ... also much more glue than I need. None of the materials can be returned.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

What does the fixing tape look like in comparison to the edge tape? Since she mentions that the edge tape is colored, it kind of suggests that the fixing tape is clear. You've piqued my interest!
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Check the YouTube video on Oratex covering a rudder in 80 minutes. About half-way through he uses two sections if a thin brown tape to layout the glue lines for the fabric overlap around the curve of the rudder. Finish job is no kinks or wrinkles.

I tried paper tape and painter's tape to no avail. The stuff he uses, according to Janina, is called FIXING tape. I ordered a roll. I don't understand why none was provided when I requested covering materials for my F-3.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I didn't get any either; it sounds like it's an option and needs to be ordered separately. Let us know how it works out!
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

The folks in Anchorage just called me to ask if I really needed the tape. I had sent them the link to the Lantz video. I don't think they'd ever seen it. I believe they'll start including a roll with new orders.