Propeller Selection

This Forum is specific to the Badland Aircraft F1 through F5 series of ultralights. Unquestionably the most awesome ultralight available. The F1 through F5 are an advanced design of the Kitfox Lite, the ultralight version of the incredible and very popular Kitfox STOL experimental. If you want information about the ultimate in ultralight, this is the forum for you.

Don't forget to check out Tech Tips & Shared Knowledge sub-forum below.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Bruce_L

Propeller Selection

Post by Bruce_L »

About to open a can of worms here.... What's your propeller choice?

I kindly ask you to limit answers to tractor propeller installations only, regardless of airframe or powerplant

1. Why choose that brand?
2. What size - diameter and pitch (please list your motor and displacement for clarity)
3. Blade count - 2 or 3
4. Material (carbon wood ???)
5. Vendor you like to use
6. Overall satisfaction (if flown with it already)- does it vibrate? does it climb good? etc...
7. Other comments - suggestions

I am leaving price out of the discussion, I want the best prop for my plane, not hunting a bargain here

I have read a lot and am still on the fence with 2 brands of carbon fiber 2-bladed props
Mountain Cat

Re: Propeller Selection

Post by Mountain Cat »

I've used all 3 of the popular brands, Warp Drive, PowerFin and Tenn wood prop. The smoothest is wood. The strongest is Warp Drive, but heavier. I now days use the PowerFin 2 blade. The 'E' prop really impressed me the most, but it is a gamble getting the right pitch for max static RPM with a fixed pitch. I like the ground adjustable because you can tune it to your engine and needs such as speed or climb. Prop loading affects the EGT's a great amount. Too much pitch and low EGT's, too little pitch and you have high EGT's. And these conditions should not be adjusted by changing jets. Change the prop. There is where a ground adjustable comes in.