Ultralight Flight Training - Session: 001 Angle of Attack

Searching for that specific fix, modification, or other information that you once read in one of the forums? It might be here. When the admins find information that is useful but sometimes gets lost in other forums, we'll move it here to easily find it. So think of this as anything outside of general discussion.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Ultralight Flight Training - Session: 001 Angle of Attack

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

This series is designed to provide you with information to help you determine what may be of help to you in your pursuit of ultralight flight. This means these posts are in no way meant to be lessons. They are here to provide more information about the subject matter available in the video. You must determine if the information is valuable to you or not and watch or not watch the video on the EAA website.

Session: 001
Title: Angle of Attack
Play Time: 00:05:08
Date: May 17th, 2023
Source: This video tip from Sporty’s Pilot Shop appears in Sporty’s Private Pilot Learn to Fly Course.
Requirements: EAA Membership Access Required
URL: https://www.eaa.org/videos/learning-to- ... 7683826112

The angle of attack is covered in this video with detailed information, information sometimes lacking in other training.
___________________________________________________________________________________

The critical angle of attack is discussed and how it is the true indicator of a stall for a fixed wing aircraft, and that it is the only number that provides exact stall in any condition. Most small fixed wing aircraft don’t have an angle of attack indicator. Angle of attack indicators have been popular in larger fixed wing aircraft and are becoming more popular in small fixed wing aircraft. The instrument and can be added to most fixed wing aircraft without too much trouble, typically though it’s not available stock from the manufacturer.

The video explains

- How airspeed, weight, pitch attitude, and bank angle all change. The critical angle of attack does not. Meaning, the critical angle of attack is where lift is lost. It does not matter what speed, how much weight, or any other variable factor the aircraft is experiencing. If the critical angle of attack value for said aircraft is exceeded, the aircraft is going to stall.

- How pitch angle is not the same as angle of attack. In fact they are very different. To help understand this better, add in a third value (flight path vector or angle). Simple, in flight there’s the flight path angle. This is the difference between the horizon and the flight path angle. Now, take the same horizon and knowing the pitch angle gives the two figures needed to calculate the angle of attack. It’s the difference between the flight path angle (flight path vector) and pitch angle. Note that we use the pitch angle to slow or speed up flight. Remember for the most part, power is altitude and pitch angle controls speed.

- Do you need to calculate this information to prevent stalls? No. Basic visual reference outside the aircraft is enough to determine your rough angle of attack. When flying a rough angle of attack can also be determined by simply looking out of the front of the airplane. If the path of the airplane and the angle of the airplane are the same, the angle of attack is low. If the noise is pointing high, yet the airplane is not gaining altitude, the angle of attack is high. Since most small airplanes don’t have an angle of attack instrument, we use airspeed as a substitute, and it works, most of the time. Substituting airspeed for angle of attack has been used for decades and works fairly well in most situations. Do not be overly concerned if you don’t have an angle of attack instrument.

- Where is airspeed not a good indicator of angle of attack? Anytime the airplane is out of normal level flight, meaning turns or other attitudes that are not normal, then airspeed can be a poor indicator of angle of attack.

- Advantages to having an angle of attack instrument are:

• Displaying in the green of the angle of attack instrument provides pilot feedback of most likely a best cruise angle.

• Assistance in landing where the angle of attack is sometimes in the yellow area of the instrument. No matter where the instrument reads, it can assist in consistency for landing.

• Some angle of attack instruments have a circle/doughnut or other indicator showing best glide speed. This would be helpful in an engine out situation.

• Angle of attack instruments are typically lit bars and only require a quick glance compared to looking at the speed indicator when angle of attack information is needed.

Critique – For a five-minute video, I found the information provided to be very good. Though the video is titled Angle of Attack, it did a very good job of explaining angle of attack and how angle to attack is a part of stalls. I enjoyed the video, though short, it was to the point with excellent examples (both real life, animated, and static examples).
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Ultralight Flight Training - Session: 001 Angle of Attack

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Very good post. And a good reminder that a stall can happen at any speed!
Mountain Cat

Post by Mountain Cat »

I have been checking on AOA's for a while now. Most are designed to go in the leading edge of the wing which will not work on the SR/RR-Badlands. The only one I see that will work good is the Belite AOA. It is mounted on the strut/jury strut. Not overly expensive at $600. I will eventually have one.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:50 pm Very good post. And a good reminder that a stall can happen at any speed!
Thanks, I enjoyed watching the video and typing up the information. The info seems to stick in my head a bit better than if I just watch the video. For such a short video, I enjoyed it and how well the information was put together. I didn't get lost like I sometimes do with some training videos. I'll try and crank out at least one of these a week along with the other information I collect.

Todd
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Mountain Cat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:28 pm I have been checking on AOA's for a while now. Most are designed to go in the leading edge of the wing which will not work on the SR/RR-Badlands. The only one I see that will work good is the Belite AOA. It is mounted on the strut/jury strut. Not overly expensive at $600. I will eventually have one.
Thanks for the info. Good to know about the possibility of an issue with the leading edge AOA's. I agree, I'll eventually get one too. I think the instrument is well worth the cost. After all, I think my life is worth more than $600.00 :D

Todd
broughtonkicks

Post by broughtonkicks »

Thanks for sharing this Todd. Nice and concise video.
Here is a link to a longer (25 min.) video that discusses a similar topic of DMMS (Defined Minimum Maneuvering Speed) that I found informative.

I hope that it ism useful to others as well.

~Barry
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

broughtonkicks wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:01 pm Thanks for sharing this Todd. Nice and concise video.
Here is a link to a longer (25 min.) video that discusses a similar topic of DMMS (Defined Minimum Maneuvering Speed) that I found informative.

I hope that it ism useful to others as well.

~Barry
Thank you Barry. The more information like this we can collect, the better. I was thinking about my plan for going from assembly of my plane through flight. The only part that scared me was high speed taxi and actual flight. I'm real nervous aboue plenty of dry lakes to do this type of self training. Hopefully I'll have enough practice on a big field that it won't be an issue. When I was taking lessons in Fallon Nevada, there were plenty of dry lakes to practice on. Not so much here in Florida. I envy Peer and his access to El Mirage desert flat. He'll have a great area to practice on. I'm hoping to find an old shut down military base around here in Florida that I may be able to use.