Wing capstrip rib end contour forms

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer, ksatter26

ksatter26

Wing capstrip rib end contour forms

Post by ksatter26 »

A friend has produced 3D printing files for some small parts that I hope to use to smooth the wing rib capstrip ends into the spar tubes. I believe he's posted them on YouTube referencing the Badland F-3. I have copies of the files for: SketchUp (.skp), Fusion 360 (.f3d), and 3D slicing tools (.3mf ... PulseSlicer or CuraSlicer). I'd be happy to email them to anyone interested.
IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Re: Wing capstrip rib end contour forms

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

ksatter26 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:26 pm A friend has produced 3D printing files for some small parts that I hope to use to smooth the wing rib capstrip ends into the spar tubes. I believe he's posted them on YouTube referencing the Badland F-3. I have copies of the files for: SketchUp (.skp), Fusion 360 (.f3d), and 3D slicing tools (.3mf ... PulseSlicer or CuraSlicer). I'd be happy to email them to anyone interested.

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG
This is great Kurt. Please send them to me. Is there any issue with posting them here on the forum?

I can offer to print them for anyone wanting them at cost plus shipping.

Things like this are great. I really enjoy using my 3D printer for stuff like this.

Todd

Todd
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

I'll try adding the files as attachments in the morning from my PC.

We have 2 sizes ... 6mm high at the capstrip end and 4mm high. I had started tapering (sanding) the capstrip ends on few ribs so the 4mm fit better on those.
ksatter26

Re: Wing capstrip rib end contour forms 3D Print Files

Post by ksatter26 »

I tried inserting the files here but the interface would not allow attachments with the 3D file extensions.

I'll need an email address to send them.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

OK Kurt, I've added the file extensions for the most common 3D printer files. I still had trouble uploading a test file, but found out what that was. Not only did I need to add file extensions, but I also had to turn on downloading for files other than just images and pictures. The site will now allow other file types. I was able to upload a test file to this post, so it's working on this side of the forum. Let me know if you continue to have issues and we'll figure a way to get them posted.

Thanks,
Todd
Attachments
Complete_J3_Cub.stl
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Rudder_v1.stl
(5.75 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

Thanks. I did manage to send you the 4 files via your private email. Removing the file extension restrictions will allow me to post the files for anyone else who'd like to use them.

Weather somewhat improved and it appears that the adjustable wing stands will work so I hope to get on with covering the starboard wing. I have all of the Fokker red panels cut (and the leading edge blue strips) ready for fitting and gluing.

The Orstex factory is back in production mode so I'm promised my rolls of white trim tape next week.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

ksatter26 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:47 am Thanks. I did manage to send you the 4 files via your private email. Removing the file extension restrictions will allow me to post the files for anyone else who'd like to use them.

Weather somewhat improved and it appears that the adjustable wing stands will work so I hope to get on with covering the starboard wing. I have all of the Fokker red panels cut (and the leading edge blue strips) ready for fitting and gluing.

The Orstex factory is back in production mode so I'm promised my rolls of white trim tape next week.
All sounding good Kurt, and of course any forward movement is good. Nice to hear the adjustable stands will work with the wings. I may have to barrow that idea when I get that far on my F5.

Thanks,
Todd
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

How easily do they sand or grind down at the thick end? I am thinking some adjustment may be necessary for any excess glue on the spar. It's probably better to sand the adapter than sand the spar and risk nicks or gouges.

Very cool nonetheless!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:56 am How easily do they sand or grind down at the thick end? I am thinking some adjustment may be necessary for any excess glue on the spar. It's probably better to sand the adapter than sand the spar and risk nicks or gouges.

Very cool nonetheless!
Sanding the plastic is easy. The problem will be how they were filled. Most items like this are somewhat hollow, or they have a honeycomb or similar type of interior structure to give them strength. In that case, if the outer wall is thick enough (all programmable in an editor), then there's not a problem. If not, then the wall thickness can be increased, or the entire interior can be made solid. However, the latter takes a lot more plastic. I totally agree with you on sanding the plastic. The plastic we can always modify and re-print if needed. Repairing a spar doesn't sound like a good idea.

Todd