Badlands builders or pilots near east TN?

This Forum is specific to the Badland Aircraft F1 through F5 series of ultralights. Unquestionably the most awesome ultralight available. The F1 through F5 are an advanced design of the Kitfox Lite, the ultralight version of the incredible and very popular Kitfox STOL experimental. If you want information about the ultimate in ultralight, this is the forum for you.

Don't forget to check out Tech Tips & Shared Knowledge sub-forum below.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

13brv3

Badlands builders or pilots near east TN?

Post by 13brv3 »

Greetings,

I'm still trying to track down a Badlands plane to sit in, so I can see if fit. I'm 6-1 185 lbs, but my giraffe like neck causes problems with headroom. Chris sent an image that shows a map of owners, and there was one that appears to be east of Nashville. There was another north of Pensacola, FL. Anyone know who those two owners are? I'd love to get together with them and see the planes/projects, but mostly I'd like to see if I fit. I'm definitely a no-go in older Kitfoxes and the Avids. Getting in an Avid looks like the last clown squeezing into a VW :-)

Thanks,
Rusty
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: Badlands builders or pilots near east TN?

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hey Rusty! No luck so far finding a plane to try on for size?

Hopefully someone on here reaches out to you!
ksatter26

Post by ksatter26 »

30 miles NE of Dallas ... about 450 miles from Memphis.

I just finished routin my flapperon control cables ... they run under the seat and cross-over each other above the fuel tank; running high over my shoulders to the wing butt ribs. I'm only 5'9" and there's plenty of clearance. Additionally, I believe there's enough play/slack into the fables to zip-tie them to the cabin tubes to provide room for your tall frame.
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

Thanks for the info. It does sound promising, but I'll have to prove it before I could actually consider building one. Fortunately I have plenty of other project, so no great hurry.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

13brv3 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:57 pm Thanks for the info. It does sound promising, but I'll have to prove it before I could actually consider building one. Fortunately I have plenty of other project, so no great hurry.
Just remember, Chris is over a year with back orders. You don't want to be waiting around for the kit! Chris is a stickler for perfection. He had a welder for a short time, but the guy didn't work out. Chris had to go back and re-weld areas that didn't pass his inspection. This has put him further behind. The good is that come April 1st he has a new guy starting. Chris told me the new guy is exceptional. Hopefully that'll help take a chunk out of the backlog of orders.

Todd
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

I'd still like to find one of these closer to east TN than the Badlands facility. I can't even seriously consider one of these without sitting in one to make sure there's headroom.

If anyone does have one of these, could you take a picture of the headroom you have when sitting in it, and also provide your seated height? That would at least give me some idea.

Thanks,
Rusty
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hi Rusty. Let me see if I can get you this information tonight or tomorrow morning. I can take a pic in the cockpit as well as a pic seated against a wall with a tape measure behind me...would that work, do you think?
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

Yes, that would help. I don't need a picture against the wall, just the height measurement. The cockpit picture will give me a good idea when I know the measurement.

Some of the Kitfoxes and others have had bubble skylights that gave extra headroom, but that seems pointless to me because if you're head was close to that, the only thing you'd see is the wing root ends. Maybe raise the seat and put a separate canopy over the wing :-)

Thanks,
Rusty
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Haha, now THAT I would love to see! A little bubble canopy with a head in it.

I'll try to get you that picture ASAP.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

20240402_175937.jpg
Height from seat base to the top crossmember of the fuselage is 36 inches. My head sits at about 33 inches.

To the "sunroof" adds another 2 inches or so.

Hope this helps!
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

Thanks for measurements and picture. Unless there's room to lower the seat a few inches, it sounds like I can scratch the Badlands from my wish list along with all the other early Avids, Kitfoxes, etc.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Bummer. Have you looked at open cockpit options, like the Hummel Ultracruiser?
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

The Ultracruiser and Legal Eagle are also on my list, but neither has the cool folding wing option.

So I'm assuming there isn't any room to lower the seat, or possibly recline it a bit more?
broughtonkicks

Post by broughtonkicks »

Hey Rusty,
I am 6'2" tall and weight right at 200 lbs.
Even wearing a flight helmet I have plenty of head room.
When I go up to the hangar on Saturday I can get a measurement of clearance for the top of my head if you'd like.
I live in western NY State, so it may be quite a trip for you to come up and try it on for size!
I have attached a few images here, but am having difficulty getting the videos to load.

I hope this helps.
~Barry
Attachments
20240403_173706.jpg
20230624_082116.jpg
20240403_172928.jpg
20230628_102550.jpg
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

I had thought the Ultracruiser has removable wings (just outboard of the landing gear) but I could be wrong about that.

Great pics and beautiful plane, Barry!
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Certainly one of the very best Badland aircraft I've ever seen, plus Barry had Chris design and build the door. Awesome ultralight.
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

Thanks Barry. I'll be interested in any measurements you can provide. From how bent your knees are in those pics, I'm betting your more leg than torso. I never have issues with legroom, only headroom.

As for the Ultracruiser, it does have fairly easily removable outer wing panels. There's one guy in Japan that does that every time he flies out of necessity, but aside from him I haven't heard of anyone doing it more than a couple times a year to bring the plane home for the winter.
broughtonkicks

Post by broughtonkicks »

Good afternoon Rusty!
I took a run up to the hangar to get a few measurements and photos for you.
My horizontal seat cushion is angled back slightly, so I've got a few measurements here.
From the front edge of the seat cushion straight up to the canopy it is 35 inches.
Center of seat cushion to canopy is 36 inches.
Back edge of seat cushion to canopy is 37 inches.
The canopy is one continously piece running aft from the windshield, and rises 3 1/2 inches above the welded cockpit/fuselage frame.

Please excuse the dirty canopy from condensation in the hangar! LOL Thor is due for a good bath!

I hope this helps.
~Barry
Attachments
20240405_163943.jpg
20240405_161057.jpg
20240405_162142.jpg
Screenshot_20240405-161712_Gallery.jpg
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Excellent. Thank you for posting this Barry!

Todd
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

I really appreciate the measurements Barry! How thick is the bottom seat cushion? I imagine compression of the cushion might buy another inch or more on those measurements, but it's not exactly sounding spacious. I'm 6'1" but my seated height is 38.5". To have plenty of headroom at 6'2" you must be all legs. I had a friend that was 6'3" and sitting in the same car my head would be touching the roof, and his would be 2" below it.

I sifted through some of the pictures that were recently posted to the forum, and found some that show the elevator push/pull tube under the center of the seat. It doesn't look like there's much room to lower the seat, unless maybe you make it anatomically shaped :-)

Thanks,
Rusty