4-stroke engine options?

This Forum is specific to the Badland Aircraft F1 through F5 series of ultralights. Unquestionably the most awesome ultralight available. The F1 through F5 are an advanced design of the Kitfox Lite, the ultralight version of the incredible and very popular Kitfox STOL experimental. If you want information about the ultimate in ultralight, this is the forum for you.

Don't forget to check out Tech Tips & Shared Knowledge sub-forum below.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

13brv3

4-stroke engine options?

Post by 13brv3 »

Greetings,

It looks like I'll have a year to come up with an engine, and I'm really only considering 4-strokes, or rotary engines. The obvious option is the ThumpAir, but I don't think many are flying yet. By the time I need one, there should be a lot more known about it. I have one of the Predator 670s on a test stand that I'm planning to test, but I'm not sure I'd be able to get that down to the necessary weight limit. I do enjoy alternate engine projects, so I'm open to any promising option.

Aside from the ThumpAir, what other 4-stroke options are out there? There are some neat small rotary engines, but not a lot of them flying that I can find. The Aixro is particularly interesting.

Rusty
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: 4-stroke engine options?

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Have the rotary engines started to come down in price? I recall Chris having one on his site, and it was priced more than the kit.

I'd love to have a scaled down 5 cylinder radial, myself. Now THERE'S an alternate engine project I can get behind. haha

You are asking the same question I've been asking since I first started my build. I think the UL world is still waiting for the perfect engine - reliable, powerful and light.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

So far, the only 4 stroke I see that's been able to beat down the weight issue of a 4 stroke is the ThumpAir. Other's have brought down weight, but only a little. Scott has done a great job with the ThumpAir. I would love to have a rotary, but as Peer mentions, the price is crazy and so is the TBO, very low. I'm also waiting for Scott to give us a better TBO on the ThumpAir. It's 300 hours. I'd like to see it more in the 500 hour range, but testing has to be completed before that can happen. Have you heard the ThumpAir? It sounds exceptional, both at idle and power. I'd like to see more produced to give us more of a selection, but so far I've only seen the ThumpAir as an alternative for me, instead of a two stroke motor.

Todd
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

The rotary that's on the Badland site is crazy expensive. The Aixro XP40 is around $7k US.
https://www.aixro.co.uk/aixro-xp40-data/

I fear 38HP for an extended duration on the 460cc ThumpAir may never have a long life. We won't know until there's more data though. I may be able to get the 670 down to a usable weight, but I'd much rather have a rotary since I'm a big fan of them.

It's been suggested that a water cooled option will be more likely to keep up with cooling, but I don't really see suitable water cooled 4-stroke small enough for part 103.
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hmm. All things considered, the Aixro isn't THAT crazy priced. Todd, how much is the Hirth twin you were originally looking at?

I like the Thump-Air both for power and for the sound. But I don't really need to worry about TBO, at least in my current situation. Getting in the air won't be nearly an every day occurrence for me due to the lack of convenience.
fly44d

Post by fly44d »

I have the ThumpAir 460 flying in my F1.
You can see a couple videos at my YouTube playlist that is in my signature below. I’ll try to add some more I know I have.
So far I like it, it’s very torque-y and I get off the ground really quick.
Tom Hail
Badland F1 built by Chris Deuel
Purchased Nov 2023, first flown Feb 2024
YouTube:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWfk ... pLWD99TgrT
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

Good to hear a first hand report Tom. It certainly looks and sounds good. Can you share any numbers, RPM for climb and cruise, prop size, climb rate, etc?
fly44d

Post by fly44d »

Numbers!

Redline is 5600.
Climb at 54/5500 and 50mph
Cruise about 55 at 4500 to 5000
(I am just starting and haven’t had a lot of flight time in calm air.)
Climb rate seems to be at least 500 fpm, I have some GPS data I need to analyze to get an accurate number.
The propeller is E-Props three blade 160cm prop.
Tom Hail
Badland F1 built by Chris Deuel
Purchased Nov 2023, first flown Feb 2024
YouTube:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWfk ... pLWD99TgrT
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Awesome! Thanks for posting this!
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

Excellent. Thanks Tom
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

LA F2 Flyer wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:24 pm Hmm. All things considered, the Aixro isn't THAT crazy priced. Todd, how much is the Hirth twin you were originally looking at?

I like the Thump-Air both for power and for the sound. But I don't really need to worry about TBO, at least in my current situation. Getting in the air won't be nearly an every day occurrence for me due to the lack of convenience.
The F23 from Hirth runs in the $7,000 to $9,000 range (OUCH!) based on options like fuel injection, oil injection...etc. The big advantage to it is you'll most likly never have to rebuild the engine. It has a 1,000 hour TBO!

I plan to fly my behind off. I have about 30 years left on this earth, and now that I'm retired I want to enjoy every minute of it :D

Todd
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

13brv3 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:52 pm It's been suggested that a water cooled option will be more likely to keep up with cooling, but I don't really see suitable water cooled 4-stroke small enough for part 103.
I would love to have a 4 stroke water cooled, but you're absolutely right. I don't see it happening because of weight limitations.
Todd
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

fly44d wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:35 am I have the ThumpAir 460 flying in my F1.
You can see a couple videos at my YouTube playlist that is in my signature below. I’ll try to add some more I know I have.
So far I like it, it’s very torque-y and I get off the ground really quick.
I think I love that engine!

Very nice video's. Thanks for posting them.

Todd
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

Badland-F5 Pilot wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:28 pm
The F23 from Hirth runs in the $7,000 to $9,000 range (OUCH!) based on options like fuel injection, oil injection...etc. The big advantage to it is you'll most likly never have to rebuild the engine. It has a 1,000 hour TBO!
Todd
I have a quote for the F23 from Feb 2023. For the engine, basic exhaust, belt drive, and shipping, the carb version was $11,172.69 and the FI version was $13,485.97. Used F23s can be had in the $5k-7k range though.

Nice engine though (for a 2-stroke). The weight is going to probably be too high for anything but the titanium frame.

Rusty
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Wow, the price has gone way up. Thanks for looking it up and posting, and yes, I have an F5 on order 😁 I wonder if the F23 can be used on the F1 through the F4 series if a BRS is added to the plane?

Todd
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

I exchanged a bunch of emails with Chris a while back about the F23, and it's just too close to call. Basically he said it would be an interesting challenge :-) The total weight of the engine (no prop) was around 82 lbs if I recall correctly. I'm looking at 80 lbs as the upper limit.

As for the chute, a lot of people want to believe that you get an automatic 24 lbs for any chute, regardless of the actual weight. I don't think that's what part 103 says. It says they "may" allow that much without weighing, maybe if they're feeling lazy :-) Most BRS chutes I've seen list the weight on them, so I wouldn't want to try to convince an FAA guy that it was 24 lbs, if the label says 16. Of course realistically, you've got to already be in trouble by the time anyone would actually check that.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

It certainly would be a challenge. No doubt about that.

As for the FAA, there is the other side of the story. I don't believe the FAA has the desire to even look at the weight of the chute in the calculations. Instead they would go with the full allowance. They like simple, simple is easy. Plus there's no money in it or I should say not enough for them to even bother. The FAA is too busy with other issues. Just look at how many people pilot planes each year with expired or even revoked licenses. As long as no one goes crazy claiming there 152 is an ultralight (gross over exaggeration, but you understand where I'm going with this), the chance of getting an inspector that's going to make an issue of the weight with/without a chute most likely would be very small.

I've also found that there are plenty of fat UL's. I've only heard of two UL ramp checks ever, and those were back in the 80's. The FAA is more concerned about the safety of the plane rather than being slightly fat. Having the chute meets that need.

Of course this doesn't mean hang a monster rotax on the front end either. There are limitations to deviations. In the end as we know, it's up to the pilot to decide if the allowance would or would not be a problem. I decided to go with the F5 just for the reason we're talking about. I want the maximum usable weight, and dropping 25 or so Lbs with titanium gives me a big advantage on meeting weight without too much trouble, all be it at great expense! Since I can't take my retirement with me when I eventually leave this earth, I'm at least going to have some fun with it! 😁 I have seen some UL's with the F23, so it has been done.

Though I really like the F23's boxer design, I also really like the ThumpAir for the 4 stroke, torque it produces, better economy, lower cost, and of course it doesn't sound like a chainsaw 😆

Actually I would love to have both and be able to directly compare performance. Scott was estimating he could get 40~45 horse out of a ThumpAir. That's not far from the 50 out of the F23. It would be an interesting comparison.

Todd
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

On another forum I read some info about the Aixro XP40 rotary from an actual owner. It does seem to be a unique engine with it's own cooling limitations. It might still work well, but so far I haven't been able to contact the two main sites that seem to sell and support it. That's a bad sign when it comes to being able to get parts and support if you bought one. Unless you're just a rotary engine nut like me, you'd probably do well to just forget about these.

With the green squad outlawing 2-strokes, there seems like a lot of small 4-strokes being used in jet skis, ATVs, etc. I wonder if all those are just too heavy for us? I've heard of a few of the Yamaha engines being used for aircraft, but I don't think any of those are under 80 HP. There has to be something else out there. Motorcycles seem to be a good option, but I've read that their configuration makes them hard to adapt.
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

Another forum mentioned this little 4-stroke screamer that I hadn't heard of. No word on TBO, and the price is supposed to be around $4300. 30 HP (3 min limit) and under 40 lbs complete.

https://www.eos-engine.com/index.php?lang=1&hID=71

It seems low on power, and overworked, but maybe something to consider vs a Hirth F33.

Rusty
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Not a bad looking little unit, but as with most para engines, it needs to be confirmed that the main bearings can withstand a tractor configuration versus a pusher set-up...one of the advantages that Polini has over the other para engines.

The price and weight of the Eos definitely has appeal though!
Dobie

Post by Dobie »

Anyone heard much about the Helvenco AG Aero 1000? EFI, water cooled, and expensive. Also 80lb.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Dobie wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:41 pm Anyone heard much about the Helvenco AG Aero 1000? EFI, water cooled, and expensive. Also 80lb.
Not heard of it. Do you have a URL or more info? The 80Lb is do-able but may need some trickery to get it there.

Todd
Dobie

Post by Dobie »

You may get a warning about this site but it looks legit. US distributor Blackhawk Paramotors

https://www.helvenco.com/aero1000.htm
13brv3

Post by 13brv3 »

Dobie wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:12 pm You may get a warning about this site but it looks legit. US distributor Blackhawk Paramotors

BitDefender certainly doesn't like that link, but I found plenty of others just searching for the Aero 1000. None of the links I found gave a weight though. Looks like it's probably around $9300, though often prices were packages for a particular aircraft.
Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

13brv3 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:56 am
Dobie wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:12 pm You may get a warning about this site but it looks legit. US distributor Blackhawk Paramotors

BitDefender certainly doesn't like that link, but I found plenty of others just searching for the Aero 1000. None of the links I found gave a weight though. Looks like it's probably around $9300, though often prices were packages for a particular aircraft.
It looks like something is wrong with the cert for the site, but I agree it appears legitimate. Nice engine and water cooled too boot. Really nice HP for the weight. The price kills it for me, but if I had the cash laying around, it most likely would be in the running. Thanks for posting the info and link.

Todd