landing gear Bungee info wanted

If your very new to ultralights, jump in here and post your questions. Here's where you continue to gain information about ultralights, what you can and can't do with them, and what the real possibilities are. This Forum is where the only stupid question is the one not asked. So post that question and get some answers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ultralight flying.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Jim Parker

landing gear Bungee info wanted

Post by Jim Parker »

Hi folks,
I recently joined the forum and sent an intro message. I recently purchased a Skylands era Kitfox lite which I'm trying to rehabilitate as it was an estate sale with no history with it. I do have the Skylands Kitox Lite assembly manual, but it doesn't give me that info. The plane appears to be in pretty good shape but has been stored for quite a while. The bungees are stretched beyond useful life to say the least . I have the part No. for the bungee from Skylands -- P/N: 73004.101 but as they are out of business, is worthless. I want to replace the bungees but I need the diameter and length to fab new ones.
Does anyone have a source for this info? I've been spending hours on the net with no success. I've found info on how to make them and I have the ability to do so. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Jim Parker
LA F2 Flyer
Site Admin

Re: landing gear Bungee info wanted

Post by LA F2 Flyer »

Hi Jim! First, let me preface this by saying I have no experience with bungee gear. However, it would seem to me that there should be some flexibility based on the full weight of plane and pilot (and perhaps mission?). I wonder if it doesn't boil down to a trial and error situation once you get close? There is probably no harm in going "too heavy" and working back from there. (Much like starting with no suspension, if that makes sense.)

Of course, the other option might be to go with the spring gear. The Badland gear should be a direct fit to what you have, but Chris would need to confirm this.