Omega 1 - a new rotary engine 150hp/35Lbs

One of the great things about ultralights is that they are even more flexible than experimental aircraft in what a pilot can and can't do with them (within the few FAA/FAR Part 103 regulations). Engines are a major part of any aircraft and many options are available for ultralights. This Forum is for that discussion.

Moderators: Badland-F5 Pilot, LA F2 Flyer

Badland-F5 Pilot
Site Admin

Omega 1 - a new rotary engine 150hp/35Lbs

Post by Badland-F5 Pilot »

Lots of great ideas for engines and this one is in line with the rest - great idea, but will it work? This engine is very light (is titanium), very small for the amount of power produced and might be the future of ICE design. The one big difference the engineers of this company have over just about every other new engine design I've seen is, they actually have a prototype run at the end of this video. It's not a long run, but does show that the engine does in fact run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi7IOXQ7oyo&t=2s
Omega1.jpg
Looking at how it runs I have a concern about carbon buildup in the expanding combustion chamber. The top roller and bottom roller (the one that contains the combustion cup) simply rotate around on each other. What happens when buildup accumulates on the top and bottom rollers? Is there a scraper that cleans this off as the roller is rotating? Even a very clean fuel will have some sort of carbon buildup.

I'm sure there are technical engineering problems with this engine. So the question is, can those issues be overcome? Wait and see.